A quick look over the television guide or surfing through an abundance of channels will leave any game show fan in disappointment at the vast wasteland of new game shows currently airing. When it comes to prime time, few have survived the coveted hours. In the recent past there have been, “Minute to Win It”, “Deal or No Deal”, “The Moment of Truth”, and “Are You Smarter Than a Fifth Grader”. Not to fret, there is a new slew of game shows that have either recently finished filming and waiting to air, or are currently in production. We have an inside view of some ten game shows and reality competition shows coming soon to a TV screen near you!
1) Oh Sit! (CW) Is currently in production as casting is underway for this game show that has 20 contestants battling for a seat for a cash prize as they have to survive an obstacle course. No host, or air date have been announced yet.
2) Are You Normal America? (OWN) Is a multiple choice trivia show where two contestants have to play well together in order to guess what the general consensus said when it come to questions like “Is it normal to spy on your neighbors?” The show is hosted by show producer Barry Poznick and comedian Kim Coles. The show is set to start airing this summer. Read more: http://hollywoodjunket.com/2012/03/10/are-you-normal-america-oprahs-own-game-show-set-report/
3) Total Blackout (Syfy) A game show hosted by “Dancing With The Stars” Jaleel White where contestants must feel different objects in complete darkness to guess correctly what the objects are. “Total Blackout” premieres on Syfy on Wednesday April 25 1t 10 pm (ET/PT). Read more: http://hollywoodjunket.com/2011/10/25/total-blackout-contestants-going-bump-in-the-dark/
4) Killer Karaoke (TruTV) This is a singing/stunt show that has every day people doing their best to belt out songs while being distracted by a slew of events – a cactus maze, two large sweaty and smelly men bouncing themselves off you! Oh yes, just wait! This show is hosted by “Jack Ass” Steve O. Read more: http://hollywoodjunket.com/2011/10/14/killer-karaoke-cheap-shock-tv-heckling-overdrive/
5) The Bank of Popular Opinion (?) This is another show that is based on popular opinion polls. The executive producer stated that the concept was inspired by the polls seen in women’s magazines and pop culture websites. No network has been announced for the show yet. But, the ones that have been approached are CW, and NBC. We are guessing that ABC and FOX were also presented with the idea. The run-through show included Frank Nicotero (Prime time in No Time) as the host, and comedians Lisa Ann Walter (Dance Your Ass Off) and Dave Coulier (Full House) as celebrity guests to help contestants.
6) The Singing Bee (CMT) is coming back with with a fourth season keeping true to its original format and same awesome host Melissa Peterman. Contestants can still win up to $10,000 along with a Singing Bee champion trophy. During filming of this season we witnessed one tie-breaker, and a contestant dropping the F-bomb during his karaoke serenading. A new “Honey Bee” female singer is introduced. “The Singing Bee” returns April 20 at 8pm ET/PT.
7) American Ninja Warrior (G4/NBC) Getting an early start this year, “American Ninja Warrior” began production two months earlier than last year. They whittled the competitors down to a top 30 in each city that they held auditions in. The remaining few from those numbers will compete in the show’s finale in Las Vegas this year! Read more: http://hollywoodjunket.com/2012/03/08/american-ninja-warrior-season-4-sneak-peek/
8- Karaoke Cab (?) This is a take on “Cash Cab” except contestants must sing inside of a cab. Not a whole lot is known about this show at this time. The producers have worked on shows on BRAVO and are said to be taking this idea to several networks. A sample can currently be seen in the new season on “Craigslist.tv”.
9) Figure it Out (Nickelodeon) This is a returning game show resurrected from the 1990s. The game is played with two children contestants and a panel of celebrities who have to figure out what the messy clues are that are being thrown onto the contestants. Every round that the panel doesn’t guess correctly wins the children a prize. Episodes start airing later this year.
10) Guinness World Records Gone Wild (TruTV) This stunt competition show is hosted by Jamie Kennedy. The show took place at L.A. Live in front of the Nokia Center in down town Los Angeles where people who were attempting to break obscure Guinness records displaying their “talent’ or lack of in an outdoor stage setting. Some of these stunts included fitting the most Madagascar Hissing Cockroaches into ones mouth, shooting the most color pellets at a person, and fitting the most cheer leaders into one smart car. Read more: http://hollywoodjunket.com/2011/12/27/guinness-world-records-gone-wild-sneak-peek-set-exclusive/